Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick and Easy Chocolate Buttercream


I made this cake for Christmas, and though I was a little underwhelmed by the cake itself (almond and my picky preggo palate just weren't jiving that day), I loved the chocolate buttercream. It's a lighter chocolate flavor, so if you're looking for a death-by-chocolate sort of deal, this is not your frosting (though I do have something to post for you fellow chocoholics later). I'm a bit surprised by how much I liked this, considering it's a quick buttercream and not the cooked meringue style I usually prefer; however I do think it could be improved upon with a bit of Bailey's. Either way, I like this for a quick, not-too-heavy on the chocolate chocolate buttercream. It's not the greatest for decorative piping, but it works enough for the basics.


Chocolate Buttercream
(adapted from Martha Stewart)

3 cups butter, at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. bittersweet chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled(I used Callebaut)

1. In a large mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy.
2. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and beat until incorporated into butter.
3. Add vanilla and salt, beat until incorporated.
4. Add chocolate and beat until chocolate is thoroughly mixed and buttercream is light and fluffy.

5 comments:

  1. sounds great and now I wish I had something to ice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely beautiful cake. I have been looking for a nice chocolate buttercream so I should give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a stand mixer.. Can this be done with a hand-held? And is it really sweet, with the powdered sugar and all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not terribly sweet. It's sweeter than the swiss or italian meringues that I usually use, but most people wouldn't consider this very sweet for a quick buttercream. And yeah, you can use a hand mixer. Just use good chocolate :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries on the good chocolate... You ruined me long ago!!!

    ReplyDelete