Friday, January 22, 2010

My New Favorite


Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I can't wait for spring to get here. I woke up the other day with a wicked craving for something grilled, some watermelon, and potato salad. I even contemplated making some southern style sweet tea, which I'm pretty sure I can chalk up to pregnancy cravings since I've never in my life wanted to drink something that sweet. In an attempt to assimilate with these crazy cold-weather notherners, I planned to fire up the grill and make a completely unseasonal summertime meal; however, my feelings changed the second it started sleeting outside. Fortunately, by that point, the only thing I was still craving was potato salad, and fortunately, I made some.


I've been told I'm too picky when it comes to potato salad, but I just don't have much appreciation for a flatly-flavored, mushy potatoes loaded down with mayo. It's kind of gross, really. This salad, though, has just enough mayo to bind everything together, plenty of radishes and pickled cucumbers (I'll get back to those in a minute) to provide a welcome burst of crunch, and a hearty dose of dill to keep the flavor bright. It's my new favorite potato salad.


I would urge you to make an extra batch of the pickled cucumbers. I ended up eating so many of them from the bowl while they were pickling, I wasn't sure that I would have enough for the salad. They're delicious, addictive, and they're so easy to make, I can't think of a reason to not have them in my refrigerator at all times for salads and sandwiches.

Dilled Potato and Pickled Cucumber Salad
(Adapted from here)
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1 1-pound English hothouse cucumbers, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 10 medium), unpeeled, cut into large bite-sized pieces
Additional coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
4 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
1/3 cup mayonnaise (use more or less, depending on how much mayo you like)

Directions:
1. Stir vinegar and 2 teaspoons coarse salt in small bowl until salt dissolves. Place cucumbers and 1/4 cup dill in heavy 1-gallon resealable plastic bag or plastic container. Add vinegar mixture; seal bag. Turn or stir several times to coat. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, turning or stirring a few times.

2. Pour cucumber mixture into large sieve set over bowl. Drain at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Discard brine.

3. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool potatoes completely. Place potatoes in large bowl; sprinkle generously with coarse salt and pepper. Add drained cucumbers, onion, sliced radishes, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons dill; toss to blend. Let stand 1 hour. Stir mayonnaise into salad. Season generously with salt and pepper, if desired. (Salad can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Mound salad in bowl. Serve cold or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. I can't help myself... Wouldn't pickled cucumbers be... pickles? HA HA HA!! No, I get the difference, don't worry.

    I have a ton of potatoes. Two bags to be precise, and I believe they are Yukons. I'm thinkin' "Potato Salad? Why, yes, I believe I will."

    looo ^_^ <--- That's me with my pinky out in the air.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely wondeful, love the idea of radishes in the salad. All the flavors seem like the perfect match. I might try to use creme fraiche instead of mayo. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete