Sunday, January 3, 2010

...And in the Morning, I'm Makin' WAFFLES!


If you're wondering what that "whoosh" sound was, that was the sound of the holiday season flying by at breakneck speed, leaving all of us in its wake wondering what to do next. From New Year's until the first signs of warm weather, I always get this sense that I'm meandering through some sort of suspended animation, trapped in a cold-weather induced mental fog with my head down and my eyes focused on my feet. I don't know why I always feel so subdued this time of year, but I do know that it doesn't take much more than a waffle to coax me out of my semi-hibernation. Though I prefer the classic yeast-risen waffle, this recipe is worth keeping in your repertoire for whenever you need a waffle fix, fast. The batter comes together quickly, and although it doesn't create a waffle as light and fluffy with as crisp of an exterior as some of the yeasted Belgian waffle recipes do, it's definitely got a leg up in those categories compared to most of the other quick batter waffles I've tried.

Buttermilk Waffles
(Adapted from Mark Bittman)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in the buttermilk, egg yolks, butter and vanilla.

2. Preheat the waffle iron. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently fold into the batter.

3. Spread a half cup to cup or so of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done (amount of batter and bake time will vary, depending on your waffle iron). Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Oh to have a waffle-maker... Though I enjoy a waffle the same as the next... waffle-enjoyer... I prefer pancakes. As a result, I don't have a waffle-maker. =( Which is a shame, because a good, crisp-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside waffle sounds really good right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like my hubby. He's the loyal pancaker, and I'm the waffler... though I do like pancakes, too.

    ReplyDelete