Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chocolate Ginger Brownies


For those of you out there who regularly read this blog (and yes, I am deluded enough to think that there's gotta be SOMEONE who does), I'm sorry that I've kept you hanging for so long. I'm still not feeling well, and most of my time over the past couple of weeks has been spent on the couch or in bed. Fortunately, I've banked up a few recipes for times like this, so you won't leave this post empty-handed.


I made these brownies about a month ago, and they disappeared within 15 minutes of hitting the table. They're rich, fudgy, and extremely easy to make. Though I am a die-hard purist when it comes to brownies, I actually enjoyed the fresh ginger, though I do think I'll dial it back a bit next time because, let's face it, anything extra in a brownie should showcase the chocolate, not compete with it.

Chocolate Ginger Brownies
Adapted from Martha Stewart

1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup unsweetened DP cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8" square baking dish (line with parchment paper if desired).

2. Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over med-low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.

3. Pour batter into prepared dish and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until cake tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs, 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Lift out, and let cool completely on rack. Cut into 16 2" squares.

2 comments:

  1. I read you! You're on my google reader so I never miss a post:) Now onto the brownies...delicious! I agree that the ginger should work with the chocolate not mask it. I should give these a try....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite chocolate bar is a crystallized ginger dark chocolate bar. I don't remember the brand; I just know the package is green. I LOVE ginger with chocolate, even more than I like heat with chocolate. And I'm like you: chocolate has to be the star. I only like amplifiers, not competition!

    The absolute most amazing thing about this is... I actually have ALL these ingredients on hand, minus the butter, which is a staple that I'll get next time I go to the store. Now I just need to find the time...

    ReplyDelete