Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chewy Molasses Cookies


I wish I could write a long post today that waxes on about the wonderful nuances and bold flavors of this cookie, but I can't muster up the energy for that. I'm not feeling well right now, and all I want to do is curl up with a blanket and sleep for a few hours; however, just because I feel like poo doesn't mean I should continue hiding this recipe from you. You need this recipe now, because you'll want to make these cookies several times between now and Christmas. I can't decide whether my favorite part of these is their soft chewiness or their perfect balance of sweetness and spice, but I do know that both of those traits together make one pretty fantastic cookie.


Chewy Molasses Crinkles
Adapted from Martha Stewart

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt


1. Put butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar int the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by the molasses and oil.

2. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt. Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put remaining sugar in a bowl. Using a 1 3/4" ice cream scoop, form balls of dough. Roll balls in sugar to coat, and space 3" apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are flat and centers are set, about 17 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days.

1 comment:

  1. Muuuuust maaake...

    I love chewy cookies. I love them fully twice as much as crunchy cookies. At least. It isn't even a matter of "I like crunchy cookies but I like chewy more," it's more like "I actually experience a subtle dislike of the crunchiness of cookies and greatly prefer a chewy one." Throw in molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice... HELLO! Instafav...

    ReplyDelete