Thursday, September 3, 2009

Goat Curry


Friends, we've finally made it to the Chicago area and, with the exception of a few boxes of textbooks and binders, we are completely unpacked. We've become experts at this whole moving process, but it still feels unreal to us. This summer has been difficult, thanks in great part to two moves across the country and crushing family upheavals that have left me feeling more than a little unsettled. It's strange to finally be in our own place, away from the epicenter of everything. Please don't mistake me- we're absolutely thrilled to be living here, and we are having more fun than we probably should be having exploring our new stomping grounds. We love our new home and the area in which we live; it's just going to take a little time to relax back into our own routine. That said, the hubs and I have already found several markets that we plan to frequent. Yesterday, we happened upon a halal market and stepped in with the intention to pick up some tahini; instead, we left with several pounds of fresh, young goat and every intention of shopping there weekly.


I opted to make a goat curry with the meat, simply because I wanted something easy with complex flavor, and because I absolutely adore curry. It's definitely my kind of comfort food, and did I mention how good this stuff will make your house smell? Seriously, with all the different curries out there, I'm pretty sure I could just sample different curry for the rest of my life and be happy. I didn't actually take the time to roast and powder my own peppers, or to go into any long preparation for this dish. I just used the powdered spices and it still turned out well. It's a wonderful way to welcome those cooler months that are creeping in on us, and if you're like me, you'll find yourself craving the aroma almost as much as you crave the taste.

Goat Curry
Ingredients:

Rub:

1 1/2 lb young goat (or lamb) cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp red chili powder (more or less, to taste)
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
Salt,to taste

2 cups chopped onions
1/2 split green chili, seeds removed (or more to taste)
2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
3-4 curry leaves
2 cups coconut milk
1 tsp garam masala powder
Juice from half a large lime

Directions:

1. Rub the meat with a paste made out of the ingredients listed for the rub above. Let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.

2. Heat oil in a deep pot and add the fenugreek seeds, onions, green chilies and curry leaves.

3. Once the onions start to brown, add the marinated meat pieces to the pot and stir well.

4. Add 1 1/2 cups of hot water and mix well. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.

5. Add the coconut milk. Mix well and cook until the meat is tender, about ten minutes.

6. Add the garam masala and the lime juice and mix well. Remove from heat and serve over rice.

Note: Fenugreek can be hard to find, and unfortunately, I don't know of any good substitutes. If you can't find the whole seeds, try using powdered fenugreek and just adding it in with the rub. This is a milder curry- for more heat, use the whole green chili.

3 comments:

  1. I knew you would post this!! And I bet your neighbors love/hate you. Curry is one of those aromas that doesn't just permeate your own apartment, it has a way of getting around the whole area! I remember one time I made allspice ribs (yes, I know it's not curry, but it's the same principle) and Steve said he could smell it from the bottom of the stairs when he came home! Anyway, I'm sure your neighbors were salivating! I know if I were them, I would knock with an empty bowl in my hand and give you begging eyes. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm this goat curry looks great. I'm not sure if I have ever had it but I do love goat and I love curry so I imagine together it fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you've only just moved to this area and already you know more about the markets then I do and I've been here for years. Where did you find this market? I'd love to check it out.

    ReplyDelete