Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Banana Bread, Sobered Up


I seem to be revisiting a lot of recipes lately, which is unusual for me. I know I've already shared a banana bread recipe with you, but I couldn't not let you in on this one, too. You see, that other recipe has attitude, panache, and lots of booze; this recipe is closer to my heart. It's my mom's version, just slightly tweaked. She used to make this any time we found ourselves with too many overripe bananas (which, in Virginia heat and humidity, happens quite often). I've swapped out oil for butter and milk for sour cream because, when I wanted to make it today, that's all I had on hand. It came out better than I had expected, with a tenderly moist crumb begging to be slathered in soft butter and slowly savored.

Banana Bread

4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups AP flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 overripe bananas, broken into small pieces (or mashed, if you don't like tiny bits of banana throughout your bread. I like the bits).

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8" loaf pans for baking, set aside.
2. Using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Beat in egg and sour cream until incorporated. Add dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated. Do not over beat. (Batter will look dry, but the next step will fix that).
3. Add banana chunks and beat until incorporated (you will see little chunks of banana in the batter).
4. Pour into prepared pans and bake until tester comes clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.

7 comments:

  1. This is such a favourite breakfast treat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I'm always looking for a great banana bread recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, sounds good. i second that, i love a good banana bread recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm yum! I have a ton of ripe banannas at home, I just might try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looooove banana bread! Thanks for reminding me that I should make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO That looks so easy! Plus... I'm getting tired of banana smoothies. AND I ran outta peanut butter. AAAAND I have three bananas that need using!! BUM BUM BUUUUM! I'm gonna make this. Except I'm gonna use milk. Cuz I don't have sour cream. Go fig.

    I like the bits too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete