Monday, August 24, 2009

Another Big Change + Lemon Buttermilk Raspberry Muffcakes


People, this summer has been crazy. A few months ago, with only a week's notice, the hubs and I packed up our lives and moved across the country; this week, we do it again. Our destination? Chicago. It's going to be easier this time, though, because we haven't unpacked anything and have been living in limbo for the past 4 months, and the fact that we love the Chicago area helps make another quick move more palatable (though I'm totally ignoring the fact that Chicago is known for its brutally cold winters and I've never lived anywhere north of Northern Virginia. I lack that particular cold weather gene, so I'll probably be perpetually miserable for like 10 months out of the year, but I can adapt. Maybe. If you're ever in the Chicago area and you want to find me, just look for the woman wearing ski gear while everyone else is still in shorts. That'll be me). I'm not complaining, though. Chicago is a foodie's paradise with no shortage of fantastic restaurants, markets, and specialty shops to keep the hubs and me occupied. That said, forgive me if my posts are sparse over the next couple of weeks. I'll be a bit busy :).


I made these delicious little muffins a couple of days ago, and they were a hit. They're more cake than muffin (leading my husband to dub his "the muffcake"), so unless you routinely eat cookies and ice cream for breakfast, don't think of these as a breakfast item. They're sweet, with a slightly tart bite from the buttermilk and a hint of lemon that perfectly compliments the single raspberry atop each muffin. They're simple, satisfying, and all-around perfect.

Lemon Raspberry Buttermilk Muffcakes

(from Bon Appetit)
Makes 12-18 muffins (I got 17 out of this recipe)

1 1/8 cups sugar, divided
4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
One fresh raspberry per muffin

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray. Mash 1/8 cup sugar and lemon peel together in small bowl until lemon peel releases oils and moistens sugar. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat remaining 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in egg, then buttermilk, then vanilla and lemon sugar. Beat in flour mixture.

Divide batter among muffin cups (I filled mine about 1/2 to 2/3). Place one raspberry on each muffin and bake until tester comes clean, about 20 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. Pst. Nicole. Do you think that muffin will go out with me? Wait, no, don't ask. I don't know if I'm ready. You know how burned I got by the last muffin I encountered. I just don't know if I'm ready to bake again. There's still some hurt here. *taps heart area* But find out if that muffin is interested. I may change my mind. o.~

    (HA HA HA!! Is it terrible if I crack myself up??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think if you're ready, the muffin is ready. Besides, this is a muffcake. TOTALLY different than a muffin.

    And that was hilarious :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol!! "Totally different than a muffin." So is the muffcake like the church girl, versus the biker chick muffin I experienced before? I think I prefer church girl muffcakes. Biker chick muffins are delicious -but you have to be experienced to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole, thank you for your comment on My Halal Kitchen. I really like your site- you've done a graet job with the pictures, too.
    I also live in Chicago- perhaps we could meet up some time. I'm not from here, either so I can understand if it takes some getting used to...

    Take care and happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete