Friday, July 10, 2009

Wings for People Who Don't Like Wings

I've had this recipe sitting in my "To Do" folder for several weeks with no plans to actually make it. Honestly, I only made note of it because I figured Yves suffers through enough of my girlie meals (or as he says, appetizers) and deserves some good man food every once in a while. While I am perfectly content to nosh on half a head of sauteed sesame cabbage and call it dinner, he needs meat to feel satisfied. Of course, in my usual subconsciously selfish manner, I completely forgot about the recipe because I didn't intend to make it for my own dinner. I don't like wings.


Fast forward to a few nights ago: I'm doing my weekly "What can I quickly throw together for dinner with limited ingredients because I'm too lazy to run to the store for what I really want" kitchen dance, and I came across a small jar of apricot jam that had been condemned to the back of the pantry, and it struck a chord in my memory about a recipe for wings I had found in Gourmet. The plan was to make the wings for Yves and then figure out something else for myself, but that plan came to a screeching halt once I tasted the sauce I had made. It had this wonderfully balanced sweet and spicy quality with a nice kick from fresh ginger, and once it thickened under the broiler into a sticky mess of goodness... wow. Chicken wings have never tasted so good.


Apricot-Lacquered Chicken Wings

3 garlic cloves
1 3" piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2/3 cup apricot (or peach) jam
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
4 lb. chicken wings

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Drop garlic into food processor and finely chop. Add ginger and finely chop.
3. Add preserves, soy sauce, water, and pepper flakes and pulse until sauce is combined.
4. Line bottom and sides of a large 4-sided sheet pan with foil. Lightly oil the foil.
5. Pat wings dry and place on sheet pan. Season with salt, then pour sauce over wings and toss to coat. Spread wings into one layer.
6. Broil 4-6" from heat for 5 minutes, then turn over and baste with sauce from pan. Continue to broil, rotating pan and turning and basting 3 more times until chicken is cooked through and browned in spots, 20-25 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. It reminds me of the wings I get at a restaurant around here. Can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Please move here and be my best friend/sister/personal chef.

    I LOVE chicken wings!! I'm a chicken wing fanatic!! There are four places around here to get chicken wings. I like to go to Wild Wing Cafe (ironically by Buffalo Wild Wings, which is blech to me) when I'm in the mood to try a bunch of different flavors. And I like to go 4 Sisters when I'm in the mood for really great wings. They have only one flavor, but MAN! are they a-maze-ing.

    So it would follow that chicken wings are something I would like to master. I can't wait to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd LOVE to be your bestie/sister/chef! Let me know how much you like these. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken wings and I like that is not breaded. And that it is done under the broiler to create that sticky mess of goodness!

    ReplyDelete