Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sour Cream Hotcakes



I know, I know... I've been bad. I've barely posted anything over the past month and I haven't given much explanation. I feel like I've completely fallen off the wagon... I missed my first Daring Bakers challenge, I didn't even take pictures of the last cake I baked (my birthday cake, no less), I've had possibly the best osso busco and risotto on earth and failed to mention it to you, and I have tried several new recipes without promptly sharing them with you...but believe me, dear reader, when I say that I have not forgotten about you, nor have I been purposely ignoring you. I've just been incredibly busy for the last few weeks. My living situation has changed drastically, and my schedule hasn't allowed time for me to sit down and write a coherent post. So thank you for bearing with me. Your patience is much appreciated.


That said, you didn't think I'd get on here and leave without sharing a recipe, did you? I tried these little pancakes for dinner tonight (because nothing beats breakfast for dinner some nights), and they didn't disappoint. I struggle to call them "pancakes" because they're so light and fluffy, there's nothing cake-like about them; they almost melt in your mouth and have this amazing texture somewhere between a super light fritatta and a crepe, with a hint of custard somewhere in there (I know it sounds weird, but trust me, it works). When I made the batter, I was skeptical about the miniscule amount of flour along with the massive amount of sour cream and eggs, but they turned out quite well. I might-MIGHT-try them again with slightly less egg to see what happens to the texture. I can't say that this will be my go-to recipe for pancakes, but it's a nice addition to the breakfast recipe lexicon, and it's one that will impress your guests.



Sour Cream Hotcakes

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup cake flour
2 cups sour cream
3 Tbsp. sugar

Directions:

Stir eggs in a mixing bowl until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop small spoonfuls of batter onto a hot, buttered/greased griddle (enough to make silver dollar sized pancakes). When pancakes start to bubble on top, flip them and cook briefly until done.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't comment when I first saw this cuz I was talking to you on the phone!! LOL!! This looks yummy. I think it would be a good thing to try when I want to get away from the pancakes I normally make: cornmeal. Steve had them at IHOP once and loved them, so I made up my own. I think I would personally like these better, simply because I really like things that are light and fluffy. Steve might like them better too, simply because he loves sour cream so much. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. So guess what: on a midnight run last night for chips and salsa, Steve got sour cream. YES! I have commandeered the rest of the container and I'm going to make this for breakfast tomorrow morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! I hope you commandeered a lot!

    ReplyDelete