Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hot Fudge... Oh Yum...


Why, oh why have I waited so long to make something so easy, yet so tasty? For too long, I've been content to mindlessly squeeze an anemic, vaguely chocolatey syrup from an unattractive brown plastic bottle onto my ice cream whilst rambling on about how much I hate all things pre-made... I'm usually that slightly obsessive person obnoxiously preaching to (usually uninterested) friends and family about how starkly different (read: better) homemade condiments are from their bottled counterparts and encouraging people to make their own salad dressing/ketchup/mayo; however, I've never thought to make my own hot fudge. I feel like a completely new brand of hypocrite *slamming head on table.*

This particular fudge isn't the usual super-sweet chocolate sauce for which many people settle. It's bittersweet, rich, and slightly spiked, perfect for that ice cream sundae you are probably starting to crave. One warning, though: as with anything made with chocolate, please don't skip out on a good quality chocolate and go the cheap route. You'll end up with grainy, not-so-tasty hot fudge that's just not worth the fifteen minutes it takes to make. Bottom line: If you're going to indulge, indulge in something that's worth it.

Hot Fudge Sauce

4 oz. unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2/3 cup water
1/4-1/3 cup sugar (I use 1/4 if using bittersweet chocolate and 1/3 if using unsweetened)
6 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. rum (or vanilla, or other liquor of choice)

Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring until combined. Heat the water to boiling in a small saucepan. Once the butter and chocolate are melted and combined, stir into the boiling water. Stir in the sugar, corn syrup and salt and mix until smooth. Bring to a boil, then adjust heat so that sauce is just maintained at the boiling point, stirring frequently. Boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. Stir in rum.

Can be reheated in microwave and stirred to bring back to correct consistency.

3 comments:

  1. Weird, I was thinking about fudge the other day. I'm a chocoholic, so when I want some sort of special dessert, I almost always think of warm chocolate. Problem is, any restaurant we go to that we know has it on the menu serves it heated up from frozen. Bleh. So you better believe what I want to do with this is make small chocolate cakes, and when I want a special dessert, I'm going to warm up a cake, make some of this, and pour it on top.

    Yes, I'm disgusting. But I like what I like. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand- sometimes, nothing will do except for chocolate on top of chocolate, with some chocolate on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy homemade hot fudge sauce!!! Sometimes it's the easiest things we forget to make. I know I have never made hot fudge but with the ease of this recipe I need too!!!

    ReplyDelete