Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fish Soup.


With the recent heat and humidity, the last thing any sane person would want is a steaming bowl of soup; I, however, have had my sanity called into question more than a few times, so it should come as no shock that I love soup in the summer. Specifically, nothing beats a West Coast style soup that involves wee bits of tomatoes, onions, and chunks of white fish in a savory tomato broth spiked with a healthy dose of white wine. Add some parsley for a bright kick of freshness and a dash of tabasco for a subtly spicy undertone, and you've got my idea of a perfect summer soup.



Fish Soup
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 1/4 tsp. tomato paste
8 oz. clam juice
2/3 cup off-dry to dry white wine
1 1/2 lb white fish, cut into large bite-sized pieces
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of thyme
Dash of Tobasco
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Directions:

1. Heat oil in medium to large pot over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic in oil 3-4 minutes. Add parsley and cook for 1 more minute. Add tomato and tomato paste and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

2. Add clam juice, wine, and fish and bring to a simmer until fish is cooked (about 8 minutes). Add seasoning and cook 2 more minutes; add salt and pepper to taste.

7 comments:

  1. I love soup and could eat it any time of the year! During the summer, I just make sure I've been in the house awhile, and have cooled off from being outside...

    I'm not sure how my garden will turn out this year since I can't even move in till the end of June, much less dig up a space and get the soil ready. But next year, I'll be able to find some of these ingredients right behind my house!

    By the way, do you think clams would be good in this soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, definitely. I almost threw some in there this time with the clam juice, but I thought I'd save them for something else I was making. But yes, they're great in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, this looks really good! I haven't made fish soup in a really long time, although I do really like it...I will have to give this recipe a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good. I need to get my husband past the idea of not liking fish soup or fish pie (I really want a fisherman's pie!!). I think soup in summer is still perfect because even if its hot, it is lighter than other meals.

    (Do make the ricotta cookies. They might be my favorite recipe so far this year.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of fish but the soup sure does look tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fish soup looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking fish soup. It's one of my very favorites.

    ReplyDelete