Thursday, May 14, 2009

Swedish Visiting Cakes


I've not been this exhausted in quite a long time, but with the help of a very good friend and a couple of family members, we have finally arrived safely in VA. I don't have much time for a long post today, but I thought I could share a quick recipe, which can be found here. I've made this with and without the cardamom, and it's delicious either way. I've also used vanilla sugar in place of the sugar and omitted the vanilla (again, delicious). The cakes are dense, moist, and sweet (sweet enough that I'm tempted to scale back the sugar). The original recipe calls for the cake to be baked in a cast iron skillet, but I usually make mini bundts (mainly because I like to ask people if they'd like a mini bundt... come on, it's funny!) instead. It's a versatile recipe- have fun with it!

5 comments:

  1. I can just see you in the passenger seat of whatever you drove halfway across the country in... Patting the mini bundt pan on the seat between you and your husband, thinking, "Oh yes, I know what I'm going to use YOU for..." Watching the countryside roll by and imagining the moment you have a room full of people (which you know will be soon after you arrive) and asking, "Would you like a mini bundt?" And then snickering.

    Well maybe not. That's what I would have done but I'm what they call "a special case." You sure didn't waste any time, though, did you? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These are very happy looking...love the name 'Swedish Visiting Cakes'. I'm also a big fan of the 'mini bundt' pan! :) They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this bizarre fascination with all things Swedish so you put that word in a recipe and I'm there. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, the title got me, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my kind of cake. And it has to be good, considering it comes from the one and only Dorie Greenspan.

    ReplyDelete