Monday, April 20, 2009

Minneapolis, Part One

Minneapolis, from the Stone Arch Bridge

We are back from the Twin Cities, feeling rejuvenated yet sad. We love seeing our family and friends, but it always serves as a painful reminder of how much we miss them, and it refreshes our longing to leave Kansas and return to the people and places we know and love, or to at least live somewhere similar that has a major airport so we can frequently visit loved ones without having to put a sizeable dent in our savings. Traveling has become a bittersweet affair for us since moving here, but we can't get enough of it.

Still not quite spring

But enough of my emotional verbosity- you're here to read about the food, and the Twin Cities do not disappoint in this arena. We hit several places, which I will post about later this week, but I have to tell you about what has to be the best pizza place in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me at the time, so you'll just have to believe me when I say that you HAVE to try it if you're ever in the area. Pizza Nea makes incredible Neapolitan pizza (which is, incidentally, one of my top 5 favorite foods ever). I'm quite particular about this stuff and had been craving a good pizza for days, and this place totally delivers exactly what I like in a pizza: a not too thick, yet not too thin crust with the perfect crispy exterior, satisfyingly chewy interior, and full flavor that only a traditional brick oven can create. My husband, his brother and I shared and devoured the con funghi e proscuitto and the salsicce pizzas. You know when you find something that you know you should slowly savor, but you just can't help yourself? Or when you say you'll only eat one or two slices, yet you find yourself sheepishly grinning at your husband over a few leftover crumbs where a whole pizza pie recently sat? That's how I felt. I can't even begin to describe how good the funghi e proscuitto is, with the porcinis and the reggiano and the basil and tomatoes on a perfect crust... and the salsicce was just as good, though I favored the porcinis (as I am prone to do). I washed mine down with a few sips of prosecco and left knowing that I will return every time I'm in Minneapolis. As a bonus, there's a wonderful Polish restaurant and meat shop right across the street that's worth a visit (or three).

I'd love to share more with you right now, but unfortunately, our still-packed suitcases and growing pile of laundry are beckoning, and I have some gardening to do and dinner to make. I'm thinking something with bok choy and rice noodles tonight...

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! I want you to come visit MEEEE!!

    That's all the time I got!! Better comments later, I PROMISE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the city where I stayed in a hotel that looked out at the arch, and a year later you saw my doppleganger.

    Just thought you'd like a reminder. XD

    I sooo have pizza envy. I never eaten fancy pizzas like that. I sure like me a pizza though! I will have to search out that restaurant next time I'm there, if ever. In the meantime, I should learn to make my own!

    ReplyDelete