Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lemon Extract

I have finally dwindled my lemon stash down to just over a dozen lemons. I've made lemonade (more on that later), several lemon cakes, lemon curd, and I've put lemon in every meal I've made for the past 5 days. Frankly, I'm a bit lemoned-out, so I zested and juiced a good chunk of the stash and now have fresh juice and zest crowding my already space-challenged freezer.

I didn't freeze all of the zest, though. While I was giving my homemade vanilla extract its weekly shakeup (more on that later, too), I figured I could make some lemon extract with some wide strips of lemon peel. Its super easy and doesn't really require a recipe, or any effort- just place a few strips of lemon peel in a glass jar (I use small jam jars or canning jars) and top off with vodka (I ended up using rum, because I use it to flavor buttercream and I like the rumminess, but vodka will give you a much cleaner flavor). Let it sit for 6 to 8 weeks in your pantry, and give it a good shake or two every week, and you'll soon have a good-quality lemon extract.

2 comments:

  1. O.O I had no idea you could do this... Or that it's so easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly easy. Like no work at all... I'm doing lemon, mint, and vanilla extracts right now.

    ReplyDelete