Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Culinary Personality

Quality farmer's markets make me super happy.

I use cheap butter when baking for people who can't tell the difference.

In fact, I find myself cooking less and less for people who can't tell the difference because I will not make anything I wouldn't eat, but I hate putting in so much time and effort when the recipient can't tell the difference between a genoise and a twinkie.

I wash mushrooms in a big bowl of cold water.

I prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate, but when I'm PMSing, nothing beats a cheapo Cadbury caramel egg or the Cadbury minis with the sugar shells. They're my monthly Achilles heel.

I truly believe that you can separate the good cooks from the bad by tasting their soups and egg dishes.

I am notorious for using as few pots, pans, and utensils as possible when cooking.

When people say things like "I don't like broccoli/asparagus/blueberries/etc," I am sure it's because they've either never had that particular food prepared well, or that they've only had that particular food out of season. Almost everyone I know here in Kansas doesn't like seafood- and after seeing what the options are here, I understand why.

On that note, I regularly convert people over to foods they previously hated. I love doing that :).

I haven't met a cheese I don't like.

I adore Washington State wines.

Now that I mentioned it, I adore western Washington for all its culinary prowess, bounty, and opportunity.

I love making food that makes people happy. I enjoy the preparation aspect, but there's something purely wonderful about enjoying a good meal with good friends and family- the conversations that linger late into the night, the laughter, the love- that's the part I love the most.

Ripe figs have got to be the most delicious fruit on earth.

I have a lengthy list of favorite foods that I can't even begin to recount, but it's safe to say that I like virtually anything, as long as it's made well.

I'm a purist at heart.

The thing I miss most about living on the east coast is the fresh seafood... and fresh fruit.

My husband doesn't like chocolate, and it scares me.

I can't cook with other people who don't know what they're doing in the kitchen. Maybe I have some control freak tendencies... but I usually cook alone.

I absolutely hate when I have a cake in a metal pan and guests help themselves- and use a sharp knife to cut the cake, scratching my cake pan.

I eat creamy peanut butter only because that's what the hubs eats. I prefer chunky.

I once ate a live baby octopus. It's the only time I've ever felt food fight back, and even though it was difficult to eat, it wasn't as repulsive as one would expect.

Because we live in such a small town, my husband and I stock up on food when we travel. When we last drove to Minneapolis, we had the trunk filled with cured meats, wine, cheese, produce, and kitchen staples before we drove back home.

A cured meat and cheese plate with a crusty baguette and a glass of wine... that's what dreams are made of.

I spend entirely too much time reading food blogs and I have hundreds of recipes marked that I know I will never get to.

The best sushi I have ever had was at Tojo's.

I absolutely hate when people don't rinse their dishes. It makes for SO much more work for whoever has to clean them.

I have no self control around baked goods. Really, it's frightening.

I want a garden that eliminates all need to buy produce from the store.

As much as I love complicated dishes, the best food is almost always the simplest.

I've never made my favorite cookies for anyone other than my husband. Some things you have to save for just him :).

Hands down, I would rather eat at home than at most restaurants. More often than not, the food will be much better at home.

I almost always dress my salads with olive oil, a splash of cider/balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and either fresh citrus juice or mustard.

Salted caramel is a beautiful thing.

I eat poached eggs at least once a week.

Until I married my husband, I never ate rice unless I was sick.

I don't believe in diets, but I do believe in moderation and exercise... and when moderation isn't happening, then more exercise :).

Food almost always tastes better when you are barefoot at the beach.

I save chicken carcasses and bones from roasts and freeze them to make stock. It freaks people out when they look in my freezer.

I absolutely love pho.

It saddens me to see people throw food away. I don't like waste.

I adore almost any vegetable that is simply roasted in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and a light sprinkling of salt. It's a perfect example of how to take a good ingredient and not screw it up.

So what about you?

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?

    I, too, use as few utensils, pots and pans as possible while cooking. I'm a rinse and repeat girl. I also clean while cooking. My husband is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. And he works so much that I feel obligated to clean after he cooks, which I hate doing but I love him. =)

    I'm a purist. Steve wonders why I spend so much time grocery shopping. I tell him it's because I read all the labels of things I don't buy regularly. And no shortcuts. No lime juice for tamarind. No brown sugar for palm. It has to be RIGHT.

    I love chunky pb!

    Also have 100s of gathered recipes...

    I'd rather eat at home too.

    I agree about exercise. We're big proponents of exercise over diet. Eating healthy is important but not as much as exercising.

    The only chicken I buy is boneless, so no carcasses. But we do have shrimp shells and legs in a nice little container, so yes, we have the freaky freezer too.

    I will linger over my plate and stuff myself stupid before I throw anything away. I then clean Steve's plate because he always leaves enough scattered to form a whole 'nother forkful. My fridge rarely gets more than half full because I would rather shop more often and nothing goes bad than to throw stuff out. I HATE WASTE!

    And yes, roasted veggies are the best.

    A tip for your cake pans: buy those silicone (?) knives meant for cakes and keep it by the cake pan. Then guests will have no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sistah from anothah mistah! Good idea on the cake knives. I think I'll try that next time we have people over who might sneak a piece.

    ReplyDelete